It’s been a helluva few weeks around here. Bad news – lots of it – good people leaving the paper, close friends moving away. A lot of distracting stuff, frankly, and it’s taken it’s toll on me and I know Diana hasn’t been immune.
So last week’s visit by our Ukrainian journalists was a welcome relief. Kevin and I hosted the six of them and it was a wonderful reminder of how much I have grown to love Jacksonville. Nine days, 12 to 14 hours each day and we never worried what to do next. In fact, we had to nix a trip to the zoo and a tour of Everbank Field to fit all of the other awesome stuff in.
The highlights, briefly
- Chicken and waffles at Metro Diner
- Friday night with the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra
- Slow drip at Bold Bean Coffee
- Pirate ship ride in St. Augustine. ON. A. BOAT.
- A long walk down the Riverwalk at night
- A perfectly seasoned dinner at Bistro Aix
- Sunbaked steel at the Concours d’Elegance
- Easy, bump-free driving at 65mph – an appreciable feat if you’ve ever been to or from Ukraine.
Pictures above is the chicken and waffles. You had to be there, really.